Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 07-1247    Version: 1
Type: Agenda Item Status: Approved
File created: 7/6/2007 In control: Board of Supervisors
On agenda: 7/10/2007 Final action: 7/10/2007
Title: Supervisor Santiago requesting authorization to submit a request for technical and financial assistance to the National Resource Conservation Service under the United States Department of Agriculture Emergency Watershed Program.
Attachments: 1. Letter from L. Gill - Angora Fire.pdf
Title
Supervisor Santiago requesting authorization to submit a request for technical and financial assistance to the National Resource Conservation Service under the United States Department of Agriculture Emergency Watershed Program.
Body
BUDGET SUMMARY:
Total Estimated Cost $

Funding
Budgeted $
New Funding $
Savings $
Other $
Total Funding Available $
Change To Net County Cost $

Fiscal Impact/Change to Net County Cost:
The County has been approached by the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) with an offer of technical and financial assistance related to the potential of imminent hazards resulting from the Angora Fire. Some of the recovery measures to address threats to life and property needed within the burn area may qualify under the United States Department of Agriculture Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP), administered by the NRCS. The NRCS program addresses threats on non-federal private and public land within the burn area. Preliminary estimates place the non-federal ownership at approximately 10 percent of the total burned area. Restoration on federal lands is being undertaken by the Lake Tahoe Management Unit of the United States Forest Service, beginning with the Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) assessment.

There is no impact as a result of this specific action as this action is a request by the County to begin the process leading to assistance by the NRCS. Future actions associated with the Angora Fire emergency restoration effort may result in a fiscal impact to the County and will brought before the Board for consideration under separate actions.

Under the EWP assistance program, the NRCS can provide up to 75 percent of the cost of emergency measures. The remaining 25 percent is expected from local sources and be in the form of cash, in-kind services or a combination of both. In discussions with the Governor’s Office of Emergency Service...

Click here for full text