Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 17-1329    Version: 1
Type: Agenda Item Status: Approved
File created: 11/29/2017 In control: Board of Supervisors
On agenda: 12/19/2017 Final action: 12/19/2017
Title: Treasurer-Tax Collector recommending the Board adopt and authorize the Chair to sign Resolution 199-2017 authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to collect the four dollar ($4) business license fee (an increase of three dollars) established by State Assembly Bill 1379 signed October 11, 2017 effective January 1, 2018 pursuant to the newly modified California Government Code Section 4467 and direct the Auditor-Controller to establish an interest bearing special revenue fund, to be known as the CASp Certification and Training Fund, and assign responsibility for the fund to the Chief Administrative Office for budgetary purposes. FUNDING: CASp Certification and Training Special Revenue Fund.
Attachments: 1. Executed Resolution 199-2017 BOS 12-19-17, 2. A - CASp Funding Resolution 12-19-17, 3. B - Executed Res 174-2012 12-19-17, 4. C - Resolution 179-2003 12-19-17, 5. D - Assembly Bill No 1379 12-19-17, 6. E - SB 1186 12-19-17
Related files: 20-1655, 19-1210
Title
Treasurer-Tax Collector recommending the Board adopt and authorize the Chair to sign Resolution 199-2017 authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to collect the four dollar ($4) business license fee (an increase of three dollars) established by State Assembly Bill 1379 signed October 11, 2017 effective January 1, 2018 pursuant to the newly modified California Government Code Section 4467 and direct the Auditor-Controller to establish an interest bearing special revenue fund, to be known as the CASp Certification and Training Fund, and assign responsibility for the fund to the Chief Administrative Office for budgetary purposes.

FUNDING: CASp Certification and Training Special Revenue Fund.
Body
DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDATION
Treasurer-Tax Collector recommending the Board adopt and authorize the Chair to sign Resolution 199-2017 authorizing the Treasurer-Tax Collector to collect the four dollar ($4) business license fee (an increase of three dollars) established by State Assembly Bill 1379 signed October 11, 2017 effective January 1, 2018 pursuant to the newly modified California Government Code Section 4467 and direct the Auditor-Controller to establish an interest bearing special revenue fund, to be known as the CASp Certification and Training Fund, and assign responsibility for the fund to the Chief Administrative Office for budgetary purposes.

DISCUSSION / BACKGROUND
On September 19, 2012 California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill aimed at helping businesses comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

Since January 1, 2013, any applicant for an original or renewal of a local business license was required to pay an additional fee of $1. The county retains 70% of the fees collected under the above-described provision, to be used to, among other things, fund increased CASp services in the County for the public. The remaining 30% of the fees are transmitted on a quarterly basis to the Division of the State Architect for deposit in...

Click here for full text