Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 18-0936    Version: 1
Type: Agenda Item Status: Approved
File created: 6/4/2018 In control: Board of Supervisors
On agenda: 6/26/2018 Final action: 6/26/2018
Title: Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board: 1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Morgue and Evidence Buildings; and 2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction. (Est. Time: 10 Min.) FUNDING: United States Department of Agriculture Loan. (General Fund)
Attachments: 1. A - MO Structural_90, 2. B - MO Architectural_90, 3. C - EV Structural_90, 4. D - EV Architectural_90
Related files: 18-0794
Title
Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board:
1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Morgue and Evidence Buildings; and
2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction. (Est. Time: 10 Min.)

FUNDING: United States Department of Agriculture Loan. (General Fund)
Body
DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDATION
Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board:
1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Morgue and Evidence Buildings;
2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction.

DISCUSSION / BACKGROUND
The Division seeks approval regarding the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Morgue and Evidence Buildings and delegation of authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of construction.

While there is no requirement under the Public Contracts Code for the Board to approve the Plans & Specifications for purposes of bidding out design-build construction projects it is necessary in order for the County to avail itself of the design immunity defense under Government Code section 830.6. In summary, under Government Code 830.6, public entities are immune from liability for dangerous conditions on public property if those conditions arise because of improvement projects for which the plan or design was reasonably adopted or approved.

The 90% Plans and Specifications will be attached to this Legistar item prior to June 22, 2018.

ALTERNATIVES
The Board could decline to approve and the protections of Government Code section 830.6 won’t be fully recognized.

OTHER DEPARTMENT / AGENCY INVOLVEMENT
N/A

CAO RECOMMENDATION
It is rec...

Click here for full text