Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 18-0565    Version: 1
Type: Agenda Item Status: Approved
File created: 4/3/2018 In control: Board of Supervisors
On agenda: 5/8/2018 Final action: 5/8/2018
Title: Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board: 1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Main Structure and Site Plan; 2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction; and 3) Receive and file an update regarding the Public Safety Facility. (Est. Time: 15 Min.) FUNDING: United States Department of Agriculture Loan. (General Fund)
Attachments: 1. A - PSF Update 05-08-2018, 2. B - PS_Architectural_90CD (Large File), 3. C - PS_LANDSCAPE_90CD (Large File), 4. D - PS_Structural_90CD 5-08-18 Mtg, 5. E - Site_Architectural_90CD
Related files: 16-0398, 14-0133, 17-0161, 17-1223, 18-0810, 18-0794
Title
Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board:
1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Main Structure and Site Plan;
2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction; and
3) Receive and file an update regarding the Public Safety Facility. (Est. Time: 15 Min.)

FUNDING: United States Department of Agriculture Loan. (General Fund)
Body
DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDATION
Chief Administrative Office, Facilities Division, recommending the Board:
1) Approve the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility Main Structure and Site Plan;
2) Delegate authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of their construction; and
3) Receive and file an update regarding the Public Safety Facility. (Est. Time: 15 Min.)

DISCUSSION / BACKGROUND
The Division seeks approval regarding the 90% complete Plans & Specifications for the Public Safety Facility main structure (Public Safety Building) and Site Plan and delegation of authority to the Facilities Manager to approve the remaining 10% of the Plans & Specifications for the same in advance of construction.

While there is no requirement under the Public Contracts Code for the Board to approve the Plans & Specifications for purposes of bidding out design-build construction projects it is necessary in order for the County to avail itself of the design immunity defense under Government Code section 830.6. In summary, under Government Code 830.6, public entities are immune from liability for dangerous conditions on public property if those conditions arise because of improvement projects for which the plan or design was reasonably adopted or approved.

ALTERNATIVES
The Board could decline to approve and the protections of Government Code section 830.6 won’t be fully re...

Click here for full text